Follow by Email

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Sitting and Bleeding - Page 1

Now that I have you here...


Ernest Hemingway, a person who wrote some of the best American literature of all time, was a big part of my decision to begin writing creatively many years ago. And he has served me well as a good example through years of writing in a journalistic style that is short and to the point. And his writing also taught me something about getting the "good stuff" down on paper and not trying to pollute the prose with too much unnecessary flowery detail. Something about that appeals to me. Perhaps it's out of laziness, but I like to limit a story only to what moves it along and keeps the reader interested. Not to say I don't like to describe the scene, but I don't feel it is necessary to over do it. If it is important to the story, then it is important -- period. If it's not. It's best left in the wastebasket. 


And this brings me to the topic of short stories. They've always been my favorite to write. You can get right into the meat of the story immediately with no need to build up momentum. Just unleash the characters on the audience and tell the story. Just the "good stuff." And so I have decided to post some of my short fiction here for anyone to see who might be interested. Since there are so few real readers among us anymore, I don't expect a lot of attention. But for those of you who do drop by this page, please tell your reader friends about it if you think it's deserving. I'll start with some older stuff and begin working my way up through to some newer titles.




Ernest Hemingway once said: 


"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”

So here I'll sit and bleed for you. I hope you all enjoy it.

-Lee M.

No comments:

Post a Comment